Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Portraits...

Learning to draw a portrait is one of the most difficult things to do. I mean I can map everything out and take 30 or 40 hours and come up with a great portrait with a good likeness. I can after all see Jim looking out at me in his portrait, his lips, his eyes, yup it's him.





What is really hard is to take a person or photograph and do a quick sketch of them . Not only do you have to follow the laws of nature...the face does follow certain patterns after all, you have to capture the essence of the person you are drawing. The thing that makes their face unique from the other 6 billion people on the planet.




Now I will have to apologize to these beautiful ladies. I do feel that I captured some of their look, but I don't think their Mom's will call for copies! Now I have heard one of these ladies say "practice, practice, practice". So back to the sketch pad for me, because I would so love to be able to whip off a sketch of someone and have it be recognizable.

No comments:

Post a Comment